Sunday, July 18, 2010

Le Petit Dej

This morning, as I was waiting for my soy latté, I thought of starting a blog. And, like most blogs (the ones that make sense, at least) I felt it should be about something the blogger, me in this case, could write and expound about yeah? So I thought of one word that would encapsulate the best things I love in this life. Breakfast. Le petit dej, in French.

You see, I can’t NOT have breakfast. Lunch could be anything. Dinner is pfff, optional. But breakfast is something I look forward to every waking moment. Some of my favorites, never without a mug of freshly brewed coffee or hot chocolate or both!

1. My default breakfast - hot pandesal with cheese!


This is when I’m at my dad’s house in Pasig. There’s a panaderia called Ayie’s right across, and its pandesal never fails to reach our table each morning. If people wake up late, we end up buying the sad monay (translation: bun).

2. My favorite Alabang breakfast - Brown rice, well-done sunny side up eggs, bangus




This is when I feel rich. Haha! Okay, blessed. Because dear Carmen gets up ahead of us and prepares everything with love, just as we want it. Regular sunny side-up for Kail. But well-done for me (I don’t like raw egg yolks. It tastes too chicken-y, like I can taste the feathers). Hardboiled for Tita Bunds.

3. My senti breakfast - Toasted white bread or hot pandesal, butter and pineapple jam

My mom’s favorite breakfast. Queensland butter, the one that comes in red tin cans, plus Lady’s Choice Pineapple Jam. Our old red toaster, as I remember, didn’t quite do the one important function normal toasters do: to push the bread up when it’s done. So we end up forkin out the sliced bread once it starts to smell a little burnt haha!

4. Hotel breakfast - waffles, croissants, yogurt and fruit


I'm crazy for hotel breakfasts! I look forward to the breakfast spread each morning. I go around and take in all the flavors, the colors, the smell before I pick up a plate.


The blog title pretty much establishes that Breakfast is my favorite daypart. And why not? Breakfasts, simple or sumptuous, give us the opportunity to thank Him for another day. So each bite should be a celebration!






No comments:

Post a Comment