Sunday, August 8, 2010

Burger Mem'ries

I don't know if it's just me. But sometimes, I remember a place based on the food I had there. I remember a trip based on what I ate, ahaha (what does that make me, I wonder?).
Remarkably good or bad, at least not forgettable yeah? Right now, all I could think of are burgers. For whatever reason. I vowed not to eat pork or beef, and was successfuly for months. Until my skin acted up and I had perpetual goosebumps, probably because I have ingested too much chicken and egg lately. No, I'm not trying to justify why I had to eat meat again. Oh okay. Maybe I am haha! I digress.
I flew KLM about four times the past couple of years and, while I couldn't quite remember what they served us for breakfast, the fact that I couldn't remember meant it wasn't so bad, but not to die for either. I did remember Eva Air. It was last year, on board a Manila - LAX flight. I dozed off and the flight attendant served me a sad-looking ham that I wanted to toss out the window, if only I were riding a bus or a train and not thousands of miles above ground. I work for a processed meat company so I know when one ought to stop putting extenders lest the ham becomes just about as edible as an eraser.

LA is the land of burgers. I fell in love with In N Out, even after having been brought to this place in West Hollywood called The Counter, where they customize burgers for you --- 1/2 pound, 1/3 pound, a quarter of a pound, beef, chicken, turkey, vegetarian, on wheat, on rye, or just the patty, with grilled pineapples, avocado slices, caramelized onions, cornichons, mozzarella, parmesan, cheese sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, sauerkraut, arghhhh every kind of topping you could think of!!! In N Out, The Counter. It doesn't end there. Even the McDonald's in LA was offering something they don't here. Angus Burgers! My head is swimming with burger memories as I type this. Another place we tried was Islands Burger.

The burgers were so good I took a break from my no-meat resolve. So good I could almost eat them for breakfast. Almost. Because the best breakfast LA had to offer, for me, was my aunt's scrambled eggs with cheese and bell peppers. French toast and eggs at Denny's a close second!







1 comment: